It can be bought, or – you can make your own
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme or oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon or more aleppo chili flakes- optional
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.
- For the most flavor, toast whole seeds ( cumin and coriander seeds) until fragrant, then grind.
- This will make the most flavorful zaatar. If you don’t have whole seeds, feel free to use ground spices.
Recipe adapted from: Feasting at Home