Post: Homity Pie
The original Cranks recipe called for wholemeal pastry cases, but by 1986 the recipe was felt to be old fashioned and so the pastry went. Here is the updated ‘healthy’ 1996 recipe for Cranks Homity Pie. I hope you enjoy it.
- 1 kg/ 2lb potatoes
- 50g/2oz butter
- 200ml/8fl oz sour cream
- 25ml/1fl oz sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 100g/4oz petit pois
- 100g/4oz onion, diced
- 75g/3oz mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas 5.
- Peel the potatoes and place in a pan of salted cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 30 minutes until soft. Drain, add the butter, cream, oil, garlic and seasoning. Mash well with a potato masher.
- Meanwhile, bring a smaller pan of salted water to the boil and add the peas. Blanch for 3-4 minutes and drain.
- Add the peas and onions to the potato mixture.
- Mix well and transfer to a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Finally, top with the grated cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- This recipe serves 6. You could also add a layer of tomatoes in the middle or a layer of cooked spinach. Or, even better, both!
(Source: page 108, The New Cranks Recipe Book by Nadine Abensur, 1996, Weidenfeld & Nicolson Ltd, The Orion Publishing Group, London.)