Prepare the picadillo a few hours, or the day before, serving. Serve with rice tossed in toasted pumpkin seed, or with quinoa. Serves 4.
- 375-500gram seitan
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 tblsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium peppers (1 capsicum, 1 jalapeno) seeded and diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups pasatta
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes with peppers
- 1/3 cup pimento stuffed green olives cut in half crosswise
- 1/3 cup rasins
- 2 tbsp drained capers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper.
- Place seitan in the bowl of a food processor and pulse till chopped quite finely (like minced meat)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30seconds. Add Onion and green peppers, cook stirring occassionally till vegetables have softened a bit – 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in oregano and cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Add reserved seitan and all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over a high heat, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered till the mixture thickens – about 30-45 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings before serving.
From: The New Vegan Cookbook, by Lorna Sass, 2001, Raincoast Books, Canada.