Post: A Reading Week
Makes about 10 fritters
- 1 small cauliflower cut into 4-5cm florets
- 120g plain flour
- 20g parsley finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- salt & black pepper
- 250g Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a bowl with 1/2 tsp salt. Mix. Keep in fridge till ready to serve.
- Bring a medium pan of water to the boil, add cauliflower, simmer for 4 minutes, reserving 3 tbsp of water drain the cauliflower. Using a fork or potato masher slightly crush the cauliflower
- Transfer to a bowl and add all of the rest of the ingredients for the fritters (apart from the sunflower oil and reserved water).
- Add 1 1/4 tsp of salt and a good grind of black pepper. Add the cooking water and mix. There should be the consistency of a light batter.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan and when hot (120C) spoon 2-3 tbsp of batter for each fritter into the oil. Do 4-5 fritters at a time.
- Fry for about 5 minutes, flipping over after two minutes, until both sides are brown.
- Transfer to a plate with kitchen paper and set aside wile you continue.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with the yoghurt sauce on the side.
This recipe is from FALASTIN, by Sami Tamimi and Tara Wrigley