Prep Time: 20 mins. Cook Time: 35 mins. Total Time: 55 mins. Serves: 8
- 170g Cornmeal
- 100g Plain Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 70g Butter – Melted
- 220g Purple Kumara (sweet potato) – Finely Grated
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Peel and finely grate kumara, melt butter and add these to the dry ingredients.
- Add milk to the bowl and mix until it resembles a cookie dough consistency.
- Roll mixture into a log and cut into 8 segments.
- Place mixture onto foil rectangles angles and fold up into parcels
- Place parcels in a steaming pot (see instruction for D.I.Y. steaming at Baker Gatherer).
- Place on lid and steam for 30-35 minutes.
- Carefully remove foil and serve hot and fresh with cream!
On July 7, 2017, Dane McGregor of Baker Gatherer, shared his gran’s Kānga Waru (corn steamed pudding) recipe which he says is a simple, delicious dish to celebrate Matariki. Dane has given me permission to present it here, but please see his site for more details