- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups fresh fenugreek leaves, stems removed
- 2 tbsp oil1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (or to taste)salt, to taste
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1 inch sections.
- Put the sweet potato sections into a pot, fill with cold water add a little salt and bring to a boil. Let cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft and a fork is inserted easily without any resistance. Drain.
- While the sweet potatoes boil, roughly chop the fenugreek leaves.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Test it by tossing in a couple of mustard seeds when the oil begins to shimmer. If the mustard seeds sizzle the oil is ready. Toss in the rest of the mustard seeds. (Watch out for splattering seeds)
- Add in the fenugreek leaves and stir. Let cook for about 30 to 45 seconds and add in the sweet potatoes, red chili powder and salt. Stir gently to avoid breaking up the sweet potato. Some of it will break apart, it’s no big deal. This creates a delicious mush!
- Let cook until the fenugreek leaves are cooked about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Serve warm with flat bread.
Recipe adapted from Puja Thomas-Patel, March 20, 2013
One thought on “Sweet Potato and Fenugreek Saute”