Post: Of Idli, Dosa and Uttapam
- 1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds roughly ground
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled & grated
- 2 green chilies, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Wash the potatoes, place in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to a boil. Boil for 15-20 minutes till tender. Drain and mash slightly.
- Put the oil n a large frying pan, when hot add the mustard seeds and when they start to pop, add the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the onion, ginger and chilies. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add the potatoes, stir to mix.
- Add the coconut cream and salt.
- Mix in the butter, check for seasoning. Eat.
This recipe is from Meera Sodha’s Fresh India, page 222.