- 1/2 lb pitted prunes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp Tapioca
- 1/4 lb. dried apricots
- 3 apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 can tart red cherries, with liquid
Begin the evening before the day you plan to serve this dish
- Snip the dry fruits in half. Without peeling, slice the lemon and orange into thin slices.
- Put the prunes, apricots, lemon, orange, raisins, tapioca, sugar, and cinnamon stick in a large pot such as a Dutch oven. Add just enough water to cover the fruit and stir it up just enough to dissolve the sugar. Put the lid on the pot and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day, core and slice the apples, leaving the skin intact, then add the apple to the pot along with 2 cups of water. Cook until the fruit is soft, about 1/2 an hour.
- Add the canned cherries and their liquid last and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- You can serve now or you can turn the heat off, and let it sit until you’re ready to serve. If to be served warm, just gently heat. Or you might want to serve it cold – with ice cream.
This recipe is adapted from Jani’s Aunt Tante’s Fruit Soup, at The Butterfly Jungle, Thursday, December 9, 2010