- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sake
- 6 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (I use white button mushrooms but shitake would be nice too)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- In a large saucepan bring to a boil the brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin and sake.
- Add the mushrooms and return to the boil for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the rice vinegar. Toss the mushrooms well.
- Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate for 1-4 weeks.
- For the longest storage, use the freshest of mushrooms and store in a sterilized glass jar.
I can’t remember where I got this recipe. If you know tell me and I’ll add an acknowledgement.