Makes: About 25 cookies, Prep time: 20 minutes, Bake time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c black sesame seeds
- 2 tsp ground mahlab
Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C)
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and mix until combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix until dough forms.
- To shape the dough, take a 1-inch ball and roll it until long and about 1/2 inch thick. Connect the ends, forming a slightly pointed circle. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and let rest in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Pop the baking sheet in the oven with the rack placed on the upper third of the oven.
- Bake until the bottoms are golden-brown, about 10-12 minutes, turning the sheet halfway through. If the tops are also golden-brown, they’re finished. If the tops need more color, place the sheet under the grill for about a minute or two, checking ever 15 seconds.
- Cool completely (preferably on the baking sheet) before handling. Store in an air-tight container up to 2 weeks
This recipe is from Omayah Atassi, at Omayah Cooks.