Post: Mince Pie Riots
- Orange Pastry for Mince pies
- 1lb (400g) plain flour
- 8oz (200g) butter
- 4oz (100g) vegetarian suet
- grated rind of 1 large orange
- orange juice
- Cut fat into flour and rub till it resembles breadcrumbs
- Stir in the grated rind
- With a knife, stir in orange juice till it just begins to stick together.
- Gather into a ball, wrap in foil or plastic bag & put into fridge for half and hour or more before using.
2. Mince Pies:
- 8oz (200g ) full cream cheese
- 2oz (50g) caster sugar
- 1ib (400g) orange pastry (above)
- 1-11/4 lb (400-500g) mincemeat
- a spot of milk
- caster or icing sugar for dusting
- Put cream cheese & 2oz caster sugar in bowl and beat till smooth
- Knead pastry lightly and roll out rather more thickly than usual
- Using a 3in (7cm) fluted pastry cutter, cut 24 rounds, re-rolling pastry as necessary and line greased patty tins with rounds
- Fill to half their depth with mincemeat. Put a teaspoon of the beaten cream cheese mix on top of the mincemeat and smooth over
- Roll out the remaining pastry and with a smaller fluted cutter (21/4 in or 5cm) cut out another 24 rounds.
- Moisten the underside of the rounds and place on top of the filled pies.
- Press edges lightly together, make a small slit in the top of each pie
- Brush with cold milk
- Bake in centre of oven Gas 7/425F/220C for 15-20 min until light golden.
- Before serving – either warm or cold – sprinkle with caster or icing sugar.
This recipe is adapted from Cooking for Christmas., by Josceline Dimbleby, 1978