- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup or brine*)
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning (For 1/4 cup or ~45 g BBQ seasoning, use 2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan // plus more for topping)
AVOCADO SLAW (optional)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 lemon or lime (juiced)
- Salt + pepper (to taste)
- Water (to thin)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots (Trader Joe’s has a great cruciferous veg mix)
- 4-6 whole grain vegan buns (GF for gluten-free eaters)
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews (or roast on your own*)
- Rinse, drain, and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the center “core” portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit (use more oil, as needed, if increasing batch size). Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
- Remove lid and stir occasionally. TIP: For finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
- In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture (a tip I learned from Namely Marly!). Then remove from heat.
- Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!
This recipe is direct from The Minimalist Baker who also supplies a video on how to work with jackfruit
2 thoughts on “BBQ Jackfruit”
I was walking Toddy yesterday afternoon (solo as Rubin ensconced in yacht club bar for his Thursday afternoon drinks with mates) and for some reason ( probably telepathy given arrival of your blog this morning) I realised I hadn’t received your Curious Foodie email for some time… was going to txt you today to ask if you were still writing so a lovely surprise to open emails whilst sipping morning cuppa to find this in the Inbox 😊. Hope all is well with you all. Winter weather has arrived here so will be wrapping up like the Michelin Man for our morning stroll this morning.
Best wishes… Peta Rubin and Toddy xxx
Sent from my iPhone
Oh, how wonderful to hear from you, Peta. Yes, this is the first one for some time – hopefully I will get back into a somewhat more regular production from now on. I envy you your morning cuppa! Please sent a flat white care package! Much love to Toddy and to you and Rubin.