- 1 Chinese cabbage
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.5cm/1in piece ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp sriracha chilli sauce or chilli paste (see below)
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 8 radishes, coarsely grated
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks or coarsely grated
- 4 spring onions, finely shredded
- Slice the cabbage into 2.5cm strips. Tip into a bowl, mix with 1 tbsp sea salt, then set aside for 1 hr. Meanwhile, make the kimchi paste by blending the garlic, ginger, chilli sauce, sugar and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
- Rinse the cabbage under cold running water, drain and dry thoroughly. Transfer to a large bowl and toss through the paste, along with the radishes, carrot and spring onions. Serve straight away or pack into a large jar, seal and leave to ferment at room temperature overnight, then chill. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks – the flavour will improve the longer it’s left.
Enjoy! This recipe is slightly adjusted from BBC Good Food, Quick Kimchi